Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hello dear blog, I've been away too long. I must say this job search right now is getting more and more frustrating.

As a student of 18th century history, I am currently reading the 2 volume set of "Cato's Letters: or Essays on Liberty, Civil and Religious, And Other Important Subjects. I'm interested in finding out the story of the South Sea Company financial crisis of the 1720s and how corrupt government officials and the speculators ran all over the people of Britain. "Cato's Letters" were a response to the failure of the government to pay attention to run away financial speculation.  A good short history of the crisis can be found in Malcolm Balen's "The Secret History of the South Sea Bubble."

In an attempt to save my sanity, I have started rereading quotes that I use to post on my bulletin board every day as an 8th grade teacher. I found that most of my students were lost and had no clue. But everyday I'd give them a quote of the day to read and write a small article on what it meant for them. I was asked why I never did that for my blog when I didn't have anything to write that could "impact the world." I obviously had a hard time finding the right things to talk about. But the quotes might be nice to read and helpful for me to read all over again. So bear with me while I write these out every day.

"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved." ~ William Jennings Bryant

No comments:

Post a Comment