Monday, March 21, 2011

And away she went……

I had a car that gave up the ghost of life last June.  The Toyota had been the first purchase of my ex-wife and mine in 1993. Every day I drove the car when I didn’t have Sunshine pick-up and delivery while working on my Master’s Degree.

During the separation and final divorce, the car became mine.  I had never liked the car since it was first purchased, but it was a mode of transportation. It started having issues that seemed to tell me its days were numbered. Last June, I was laid off from my teaching job and I picked up Sunshine for our annual Florida trip.

Upon our return the car would not start and I knew it was the battery. Fortunately, A friend of mine happened to come into possession of an extra car she did not need. I borrowed the car and have since worked out arrangements to purchase it. But there the Toyota sat until I could figure out what to do with it.

I had a few people look at buying it but no one wanted it. Then I thought I would donate the car to charity. A friend of mine provided me a web address that listed all types of charities in NC that accept donated cars.  I was looking for a worthy charity.

I chose Operation Family Fund to donate my car to. Their mission is to assist the injured and families of the those who have been injured or killed as a part of the Global War on Terrorism, whether domestic or abroad, military or civilian, with financial grants for transitioning to their new circumstances and achieving financial self-sufficiency. !00% of all donations goes directly to those families who need the help.


No comments:

Post a Comment